This tutorial will help you compare metrics against the previous year, and is a valuable tool to see how you're tracking so far. In this example, we'll compare Conversion Rate for 2019 vs 2020.
By default, you will be viewing the "Overview" tab. You can explore other tabs such as Channel and Demographic to get a more detailed breakdown of metrics, such as Conversion Rate by channel, etc. but for this example we will be looking at visuals in the Overview tab. You can also select "Benchmark Industry" using the drop-down menu, which will allow you to filter by industry size: "Large", "Medium", or "Small". Lastly, you can also filter by "Device", which lets you select "Desktop", "Mobile", or "Tablet".
In this example, Benchmark Industry used is for all industries ("All"), and devices is also set to all ("All").
1. Set the Date to 2019 to view Conversion Rate for 2019
To look at metrics for the year 2019, update the ‘Date From’ to 2019-01-01, and the ‘Date To’ to 2019-12-31, in the “Controls” section under the “Overview” tab.
2. The first visual you will see shows the Conversion Rate for the dates selected (2019):
- Here you will see that the ‘Conversion Rate’ of 1.22% is your conversion rate for the year 2019.
- This is compared to the ‘Conversion Rate Benchmark’ of 2.29%.
- Lastly you will see that your Conversion Rate is -46.73% lower than the benchmark.
3. Now change the ‘Date From’ control to 2020-01-01 and the ‘Date To’ to 2020-06-30 to look at results for the first half of 2020.
4. You will notice that the numbers in the first visual has changed to show 2020 results:
- In comparison to 2019, your conversion rate has increased to 1.29%. If we use the formula (1.29-1.22)/1.22 then we can calculate your conversion rate has increased by 5.74% from 2019 to 2020.
- We can use the same calculation to see how much the benchmark has changed, (2.44-2.29)/2.29 = 6.55%
- Using this method, we can come to the conclusion that although your conversion rate has increased by 5.74%, you are behind the benchmark, as it has increased by 6.55%, which is 0.81% more (6.55-5.74 = 0.81).